Wednesday 19 March 2008

2 Wheels out of Phuket

So Phuket, or more particularly the Soi Bangla, Patong beach area with its seedy nightlife, world class all ladyboy national netball team and condom strewn beach has proved to be a little disappointing.

So I'm asking myself, is there any redeeming feature? Is there anything that Phuket has to offer that would make the visit all worthwhile? Then it struck me. What's better than tramping around Thailand in the sun? Exactly....hooning around Thailand in the sun on a sports bike. Of Course!
There are no insurance considerations over here, you just hand over your cash and your passport and basically if you crash it (and live) you pay for the repairs.


Riding here is also different. It's a land where indicators and looking are regarded as strictly optional. It's one of the few downsides of Buddhism from an outsiders point of view, if it's your Karma to crash then you will and if you buy the farm as it were then don't worry you'll be reincarnated.

Motorcycles and scooters abound here and it's a wonder they don't die. It's like that scene from the Star Wars movie where all those X Wings and Tie Fighters come rushing at the screen in one big blur. I can only assume they use the Force over here otherwise the average life expectancy of a motorcyclist would be about 20 minutes.
The roads around Phuket turn out to be like a giant TT circuit, brilliant riding, rising, falling, continually twisting right round the coast of the island; absolutely stunning riding.

This Honda thrash wagon showed me what I had been missing in Phuket; Karon Beach and others further round the coast, quiet , pristine, unadulterated.




Final score for the days biking? 1 near pancake when a gigantic black toyota hilux 4x4 decided that I simply wasn't there at a roundabout; 2 rear wheel skids locked up when traffic decided to stop for no appearant reason and with no consideartion for the fact that I was doing 60 (ish) behind them.

Ok, well I've had enough of Phuket, I'm off to Koh Phi Phi, I wonder if this bike floats....

See you again soon, I hope. May the Force be With You.


Mr C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only you can make a Super sports bike look Camp!!!!! Karl