Friday 14 March 2008

Cook Cook, Bang Bang

The treking etc was excellent however it would be a shame to come out to Thailand and not attend a cookery school. There are several here and its easy to enrol in a 1 , 2 or 3 days course. I opted for the 1 day, 900 Baht all inclusive and that turned out to be a wise choice.

The course starts with a tour of the local market to sample and understand all the ingredients used in cooking Thai food:
3 types of basil, 4 types of chilli, 12 varieties of rice, 2 types of garlic - thank goodness they give you a cookbook.

Then its onto the school itself. There are a number of prep tables where you work in small groups with the chef and half a dozen assistants who runn around doing all the grunt work, washing up , assembling ingredients etc. Finally there are a number of "wok stations" where we poor punters try hard not to massacre the food.

What I had naively overlooked was the fact that you eat everything that you cook! Therre were something like 6 courses, I thought I was going to burst. I could not have survived for 3 days at that pace! It was however a completely delicious experience. I made all of these from scratch:
vegetable spring rolls, classic Pad Thai, Green Curry, Jungle Curry, Banana Fritters etc etc

How do you top a day of gustatory overload? Well, how about shooting? I don't mean wimpy little .22 guns either, I mean the real thing. Chiang Mai has a public shooting range run by the Army on a local military base. I've always loved shooting, and never agreed with banning full bore guns in the UK - another knee jerk political decision that hurt a lot of businesess and sportsmen, so I can't resist a chance to shoot proper guns.


From an extensive cabinet of guns I chose the trusty Glock 19, hammerless 9mm, and favourite of police forces worldwide.
I'm delighted to report that I scored in the high 90 percentile, I'm just happy that I'm moving on soon as I could happily spend all day here and it would cost a fortune in ammunition! Ok 1 more day left in Chiang Mai then it's south to Phuket Island.


Next: Off Road & Dangerous















No comments: