Saturday 22 March 2008

Koh Lanta

So I'm on a big boat again, somewhat better organised than the first, not a difficult task given that on the first boat the luggage was piled on the deck and we were then piled on the luggage. Every wave threatened a remake of the Poseidon Adventure, with noodles.

This vessel was positively QE2 by comparison, seats for everyone and air conditioning. There's even a snack bar selling cold beer and the first Twix I've seen in 3 weeks.

Koh Lanta is a little further south in the Adaman sea and a much bigger island. You can tell instantly by looking at the wide, sandy, deserted beaches on approach that this is a completely different island.











Lanta is how I imagine Thailand must have been 10 years ago, before the tourism industry ran amok with all that barbarous neon glitter and rampant building programs.












My home is one of a number of small scale bungalow developments which stretch away down the coast for miles. Nice pool and even air con - however on Lanta only the 5 star establishments can guarantee such formidable luxuries as hot water and cable TV, having said that the sunsets more than make up for it.


The beaches are vast, and surprisingly pretty much empty. This really is a sleepy little backwater of Thailand, and that is its' primary charm. My only criticism is that the beaches are quite rocky and with deep water making it less attractive for non swimming swimmers like myself.

There is little to distract you in Lanta; no clubs, discos or 24 x 7 shopping. Just endless beaches, good food, the sound of the waves and sunsets that leave your breathless.










The main port town is tiny and built out into the water on stilts. It reminds me very much of Changi village in Singapore where I spent some of my childhood. Changi ,I note ,very nearly disappeared under a wave of modernisation that swept through Singapore 20 years ago and was saved at the last gasp when someone finally realised that sometimes the past is every bit as valuable as the future. Looking at this sleepy, charmingly parochial little island I hope that it too escapes the ravages of "progress".














OK, I'm going to kick back and tune the world out for a bit. Catch up with you again soon.

MrC

P.S. Don't know if you know but if you click on any pictures in my blog you should be able to get a full screen of that picture - try it.

No comments: